Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Puzzling

What can be better on a rainy summer Sunday that whiling away the hours flexing your math brain? “What?” you say..”The only math brain I am flexing on a summer Sunday is figuring out if I can cram 3 whole pancakes in my mouth at one time.” But, I am willing to bet you have been doing mental calisthenics without even thinking about it. Of course, I am talking about jigsaw puzzles.  On a recent weekend, I was lolling about with the kids, when the 8 year old grabbed a puzzle and quietly retreated to the game room. One by one, every member of my family was lost to the power of the puzzle. Jigsaw puzzles are not only great rainy day entertainment, they work that summer-slackened brain. Keeping it  thinking logically (No that piece can’t go there…not the right color red) thinking spatially (this little piggy goes somewhere over here…) and methodically (Start with the edges…work your way in.) You don’t have to get the 5000 piece circular puzzle to reap the benefits, start with 100 pieces and work your way up!

No comments:

Post a Comment